Below is a Summary of UBCM on September 11, 2018 from Councillor Deck
- The impact on local government has been taken into consideration for the upcoming legalization of Marijuana, which includes financial assistance, community consultation and final approval
- The Province is looking to work with communities to help provide affordable housing either rental or subsidized ownership
Below is a Summary of UBCM on September 10 & 11, 2018 from Councillor Galbraith
- Study Session on Achieving Affordability for housing needs across the province was very good information. Lack of affordable housing continues to create substantial hardship for many in communities across BC. The Provincial and federal initiatives are positive but will require ongoing, concerted actions to address a crisis that has built up over the past 30 years. There was discussion as to some of what are the key elements and implications of current government initiatives for local governments and what actions are needed going forward and what local governments can do to help.
- The Small Talk Forum for Small Communities, (less than 5000 people) gave some great ideas how small communities think outside the box to become successful in many projects in their community and the positive impacts the project has.
- Our meeting with the Minister of Education was very good. They heard our concerns about our schools and the importance of education for our youth and that our students should have equal access to education regardless if you live in Surrey or Chetwynd.
- A very informative plenary session on Cannabis Legalization was informative and outlined roles of the Federal, Provincial governments and how legalization will impact local governments. Tax sharing strategies were discussed through short term recommendations and long term recommendations.More information from the Province will be made available the first of October.