Here we are in September already! Below are a few things the District of Chetwynd has been up to, with Covid-19 precautions carefully in place:
- The first skaters hit the ice this week at the Rec Centre. Public skating is scheduled to start near the end of September. The pool and gym are also operating, with fitness programs and swimming lessons scheduled for October; please see schedules on the Chetwynd & District Rec Centre’s facebook page or call (250) 788-2214 for more information.
- The indoor playground at the Rec Centre is scheduled to open near the end of October unless further Covid-19 restrictions are announced.
- Unfortunately adult sports will not be scheduled at the high school gym for now, and high school programs will not be held at the Rec Centre until we are able to loosen up Covid-19 restrictions.
- We had a very productive year at the community gardens; a lot of new gardeners started gardens this year but there’s lots of room for more! The District provides top soil, rototills garden plots for gardeners, and is considering putting up a small greenhouse soon. Call (250) 401-4100 and ask for Parks to reserve a free garden plot for yourself.
- The Province’s website reminds us, “Physical activity can improve your mental health, help you manage chronic diseases, and help to prevent illness and disability.” It’s also fun! There are a lot of free fun things to do in Chetwynd such as hike, walk or bike on the trails, use the outdoor rink, volleyball, tennis, and much more. If you don’t have sports equipment, the Visitor Centre loans out everything from bicycles to basketballs (and carefully cleans in between users). Visit them at 5400 N Access Road or call them at (250) 788-1943 to reserve.
- The District’s largest 2020 project, the sewer replacement on 51st Avenue SW and 53rd Place NW, is complete now, and landscaping has been finished on 47th Avenue from last year’s water/sewer/road replacement project there.
Our hearts go out to those who have Covid-19 or those whose family members have it. Until things return to normal, please remember to stay home if you’re sick, wash your hands, utilize physical distancing, keep your social circle small and stay safe!
Sincerely, Mayor Allen Courtoreille