Open for Business Award - 2018 Winner
The District of Chetwynd is proud to have received the 2018 Open for Business Award!

OCP & Zoning

An Official Community Plan (OCP) is a general statement of the broad objectives and policies of the local government respecting the character of existing and proposed land use and servicing requirements in the area covered by the Plan.  The OCP serves as the foundation for all policies, regulations, and decisions pertaining to land use and development in a municipality.  Each property in the District has been assigned an OCP designation that defines the approximate or desired location of land uses such as residential, commercial, industrial, parks and opend space, etc.

The Zoning Bylaw is used by the District to regulate the use of land and to implement the policies in the OCP.  It states what land uses are permitted in the community and provides information such as where buildings may be located, density requirements, and standards for lot size, parking requirements and building height.

When is an OCP and/or Zoning amendment necessary?

Rezoning is a process of changing one zone to another.  When a development is proposed, including constructing new buildings or changing the types of activities that occur on a property, the owner must check the zoning regulations for that property.  If the existing zone does not permit the proposed development then it is necessary to apply for a rezoning.  A rezoning cannot be approved contrary to the OCP; therefore, an OCP amendment may also be required.  The rezoning and OCP amendment occur together as on process.

For more information, please contact Carol Newsom, Chief Administrative Officer at 250-401-4104.

Download Zoning Map Files

Please note that the you need to have Adobe PDF  software to view the zoning map files. You can download this free software by clicking the link below:

The District of Chetwynd does not guarantee that these maps will be the most current version. Please verify the accuracy with the Engineering Department at: 250-401-4122.